Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Thoughts on the schedule

After talking with Coach Menzies, I just wanted to point out that the Lou Henson Classic will return next season. Menzies said they will pick one of their home games (It would make sense for maybe Prairie View, Sac. St. or Loyola Marymount) and call that particular game the Lou Henson Classic. It didn't seem like the community really got excited about the tournament last year anyway, other than when Coach Henson sat on the bench during the game. The same effect can be acheived this way I think.

With the road game at Kansas, I think the Aggies have traveled to four of the five most highly regarded venues in the history of college basketball over the past three years (UCLA, Duke, Louisville, Kansas). The only team missing is North Carolina. Maybe next year. What do you think? Am I missing any primetime opponents on that level?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kentucky

Anonymous said...

It's good that NMSU wants to play the big boys but, it has to have a solid showing.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget our trip to McKale to play the U of A.

Jason Groves said...

I did forget Arizona. anon: good call with Kentucky. Not a bad list so far though for recent Aggie teams.

Anonymous said...

Wins, wins, wins. When building a program it is important to win games. Our teams (mens/womens) have done that.

I know our coaches are faced with a tough challenge with their schedules. I applaud both mens and womens hoop coaches for putting together competitive schedules.

Let me ask a question and you tell me what you think. Don't you think playing the home "guarantee" games makes more sense than running off to play road games at a higher level program, like Kansas? I look at it this way. if you go there and you aren't competitive, what does that do for your players and their confidence? I also think giving a team $10,000 - $20,000 to come play here makes more sense and get a win. We'll spend over $20,000 on a road trip, easy.
What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Let me add to my previous post.

Those figures are for the women's teams; where guarantees today are going for those amounts. I realize the mens guarantees are much much higher.

I would like to see us enter in to more Home & Home series set ups with trams in the Pac 10, MtM West and Big 12.

There, I finished it.

Anonymous said...

any espn games?

Anonymous said...

The only confirmed game is the game in Reno. It will be on ESPN2. There is an article in todays paper (8/11) talking about other possible dates.

Anonymous said...

JG, rumor is Clyde Vaughan is going to be getting an asst coach job here. Can you verify this? WOuld be good news considering the big men we have coming in. Also, if it is true, does this mean we are adding another coach, or did somebody leave?

Jason Groves said...

anon: nothing is official yet. My understanding is that no coaches from the current staff are leaving, but Menzies hopes to reorganize his staff.

Jason Groves said...

The Clyde Vaughn situation fell through. It was a possibility but I have been informed the Aggies will not be able to bring him onboard.