Friday, July 26, 2013

More from Daniel Mullings



I was able to catch up with New Mexico State guard Daniel Mullings following his experience with Canada at the World University Games. Interesting side note, there is a chance Mullings could be invited to the tryouts for Canada's senior national team. Steve Nash and Jay Triano, the same coach that coached the University Games team, will announce the roster and training schedule Monday morning. Here is my story that ran on Thursday.

He expanded a little bit on the trip, the style of play, the Aggies upcoming schedule and the addition of Tanveer Bhullar. He also talked a little trash to Canada teammate and Gonzaga star Kevin Pangos on their matchup in Spokane this season.

"I did talk to (Pangos) about it and of course we were trashtalking," said Mullings of the Aggies' Dec. 7 trip to Spokane. "I didn't know we were playing but I saw a Tweet and then I checked on the Aggies App. on my phone. I'm looking forward to it. I told him, 'I'm going to be guarding you. Nobody else.'"

Mullings was guarding point guards in Canada so it will be a fun matchup to watch.

Mullings on Canada figuring out roles
"There was no distinct starting five. In China we played five on and five off with four guys sitting then when we went to Russia we started pool play like that. Me and Brady (Heslip)  were the two guards so he was on one shift and we flip flopped. The majority of the time I played with (Kevin) Pangos because he was the point guard.

Mullings on who he clicked with on the Canada roster:
"I hung out mostly with Melvin Ejim from Iowa State and Mangisto Arop from Indiana State. When I first got to training camp, my roommate was Melvin and then again in Toronto and Many was always around. And also Dwight Powell from Stanford."

Mullings on differences between the college and international game:
"The physicality. It's a lot more physical than college. The screens are more aggressive and the referees don't call little fouls. You have to play through the foul and just make sure whatever you do to try to finish because they have the continuation. It's more like the NBA. One of our first games, I was getting fouled a lot but just throwing it up and then the coaches called me over and told me to try to score because they use that. We eventually matched the physicality. A lot of play college in North America so were were used to playing and trying not to foul or put a body on someone, but once we got used to it, we started rolling."

Mullings on the offense:
"In training camp we were doing the offense and then in China we did in preparation for Russia so when we were back in Toronto we could refine things. We did a lot of pick and roll and pick and pops. There were a lot of plays that (Triano) drew up for that moment in time for a game."

Mullings on Tanveer Bhullar's commitment to NMSU
"It's crazy. I was in Russia and I got a text and it was all over Twitter. It's good for him. He can help Sim excel. He is still young and he has two good big men ahead of him that he can learn from. Those two guys are different players who can each team him what they know."

Mullings on the Aggies upcoming schedule:
"I like the schedule. We got a couple good teams and a good chance to make some noise. We have Colorado State, Arizona and Gonzaga.  I think they are winnable games, especially with the guys we have coming back. From what I have seen so far, everyone has been working hard all summer. I see guys in the gym working extra."

No comments: