Monday, May 23, 2011

Gordo going pro

Gordo Castillo has agreed to play for Fuerza Regia of the Mexican league. The team is located in Monterrey and coached by former Aggie Reggie Jordan.

"It means a lot to me," Castillo said. "Playing in college was a big dream of mine. Since that ended, it has been kind of stressful because I want to keep playing."

Castillo, a Las Cruces native, said playing professionally grants him an opportunity to start a life outside of his hometown.

"It will be good to get out of town," he said. "I have been here my whole life. It's like a different chapter of my life."

Former Aggie guard Mike Mitchell also played for the club last year, so there was an Aggie connection, but no doubt what landed Castillo a contract was his ability to shoot the ball.

"I liked the way they approached me," Castillo said.

Castillo said other Mexican league teams had contacted him, but the Moterrey club was the best team (finishing second last year) with the best offer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for him but, Mexico is a pretty messed up country and Monterey is becoming a hot spot for crime.

Stay safe Gordo!

Jefe