Saturday, October 19, 2013

Crimson vs. White observations

I've learned to take these scrimmages and exhibition games not as seriously as I did early on.
Having said that, there were a couple of impressions I took. I think the No. 1 thing the Aggies have been working on in practice has been figuring out how Sim Bhullar and Tshilidzi Nephawe play together. We got a little look at it on Saturday and it still looks to be a work in progress. Marvin Menzies spoke a little about it in my story here.

Nephawe looks like he's improved around the basket. He could be the most skilled of the Aggies centers. I've been somewhat tough on Nephawe's production. I think he could have a good year now that he won't be a primary option.

DK Eldridge was just as athletic as advertised. Below is probably the best dunk of Saturday's dunk exhibition. Eldridge should start at one of the wing positions, which gives NMSU another great duo on the wing with Daniel Mullings, who looked good as well. I was somewhat surprised at how smooth Eldridge was offensively, getting to the elbow and hitting a jumper or knocking down a little fadeaway. The Aggies need a scorer on the wing.



Neither point guard really stood out on Saturday against each other. Sim Bhullar told me it's still a battle and a toss up as to if KC Ross Miller or Travon Landry will get the starting spot.

Other notes
Renaldo Dixon didn't play Saturday and may not be ready when the Aggies open the season. ... Marvin Menzies was asked questions by the crowd. One person asked about Terrel de Rouen. Menzies said de Rouen's chances of returning this year are "slim" That's not to say de Rouen won't be back, but I doubt you will see him this season.







No comments: