Friday, June 8, 2012

Jonathan Gibson



Former Aggie guard Jonathan Gibson told me in the spring that he would play for the Boston Celtics in NBA Summer League play in Las Vegas and Orlando. The Orlando league takes place July 9-13 and the Vegas league runs from July 13-22. I asked Gibson a few questions about his career in Europe since leaving New Mexico State after the 2010 season.


"The team I played for this year is Trabzonspor (Turkey). I led the country in scoring with 20 ppg 3.7 ast 2.5 rebounds. Turkey is the most physical league in the world. Now I'm currently in Italy on Enel Brindisi. We're in the playoffs. We swept the first team 3-0, Here I avgerage 22 ppg 3.3ast 2.8 reb. How the clubs work in Europe, well some teams are professional and some teams aren't, some teams pay on time or are late, but it's a good atmosphere, they have crazy fans, but it's a good experience here. The top countries are Turkey/Spain both of those are arguably first, then Russia/Italy. I signed a one year deal (its finished now), I have a new contract for this team for the playoffs."




How did Boston come about?
"Boston contacted my agent saying they have been watching me all year, and they like how I play the pick and roll , and the speed/aggressiveness.  This will be the first summer league action I will be attending , because last year there was a NBA lockout. This is real big for my career, it shows that the NBA has interest in me and they are giving me an opportunity to make it."


What kind of a player are you now compared to your college career?
"My game has improved a lot since my NMSU days. I could have done the same thing I'm doing now in college, I'm way more aggressive, I'm mastering the pick and roll game, I create a lot more for myself and for other people, I play more physical/tougher,  I have a better understanding of the game. Overall I'm more effective than I was in college. This has been my best year in my career so far. Its just the beginning"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you Jonathan...hope to see you soon in the NBA!

Anonymous said...

Good story Jason. It's good to hear about former Aggies. I wish him the best of luck.

JH

J.D. said...

I'm a Celtics fan and NMSU alum. I'd love to see Gibson in green!

Anonymous said...

im an enel brindisi fan ...i love the way JGibb plays and I wish him a great future...however Good Luck GibbS!

Richson said...

Congratuation Miami Heat, they are the NBA Champion, however, james harden jersey and anthony davis jersey will go finals game again in next season, let us go, OKC.

Anonymous said...

I thinck you would be a good addition to the team I saw u score 17 points in one.quarter so if the see what I. See your a celtic. Best of luck J.

Anonymous said...

I'm good friends with his brother