Friday, February 25, 2011

Terrell de Rouen

We talk mostly Aggies men's hoops on here. But if you get a chance in town, check out the District 3-5A boys basketball championship game on Saturday at Oñate at 7 p.m.

I think Oñate senior guard Terrell de Rouen is the only Division I player in the game, but teammate Tim Jacobs, and Cruces High's Trevor Noel (soph) and Mando Marshall (jr) are Division II players right now I would say. Both teams get after it.

I talked to de Rouen the other day.

He said the only Division I offer he has is Georgia State currently. NMSU is interested as a walk-on initially and California-Northridge is interested. He said Oklahoma asked for film last week. de Rouen said he never considered playing at NMSU at home before the Aggies became interested, but he does want to play Division I at some point. He said Midland College has shown interested, and he said he would consider playing at the prep school level.

de Rouen has grown from 5-7 as a sophomore to 6-1 and will be the most explosive player on the court on Saturday. A 6-1 point guard would add even more length to the top of the Aggies' zone. I don't know that de Rouen has any one skill that makes him a must-have player for NMSU. Gordo Castillo could stroke the 3 and still can. Hernst Laroche needs a backup at some point and I see Christian Kabongo as more of a combo-guard type.

At the very least, de Rouen would be a better practice player right now than two of the walk ons the Aggies have with potential to play a few minutes as a freshman even. He's that good of an athlete.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree, I love the fire he brings to the court. If there is one thing I see the Aggies are missing is fire. Hopefully the other players would feed off of him.