Friday, June 26, 2009

Non-conference

So far the Aggies' men's schedule has potentially two non-conference games to fill. Right now there are 29 games.

HOME
UNM (home opener first week of November)
UTEP (Two weeks later)

Then it drops off
Panhandle State
North Carolina A&T
Alcorn State

ROAD
UCLA
Cal-State Fullerton
Pepperdine
UTEP
UNM
Bracketbuster


It would be nice to get another Division I home game, but I'm curious what your thoughts are on opening the season with a rivalry game? Both teams could be pretty good and I like the idea of a tough game to open the season and get people excited about the season and the team. It's an early, important game for the Aggies, who were swept by the Lobos last year.

ESPN typically completes its schedule for the first week of games by August so hopefully the network has some interest in a rivalry game on the first weekend of the season.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who are the teams who will be here for the Lou Henson Classic???

Anonymous said...

By the look of the schedule I would assume that Panhandle State,
North Carolina A&T, and/or Alcorn State are the LHC teams. That is a very mumme-esque type schedule. What are the odds of landing another home game for the Bracket buster game?

I would love to see espn pick up the I-25 game for the schedule.

Unknown said...

Though I wish Panhandle, Alcorn and NCAT would turn into something more like Weber State, Colorado State, Portland, the schedule as a whole looks good to me. Another big game (a la UCLA) on the road would've been nice, but not without Wendell.

Starting with UNM might work out really well. NMSU should have everyone ('cept Wendell) back and ready to go, and the Lobos will be replacing 3 starters; Danridge, Toppert and Faris. They are talented, so catching them while they're still meshing will be nice.

Anonymous said...

I would have been nice to play one of the patsies before UNM. Give us a game to work out the kinks. I really with we could book the other two OOC games with either MWC or MVC teams. I wouldn't mind seeing ASU or Arizona either as both are close enough to travel.

Groves, Any ideas on who we're trying to get or who we have a chance at getting for the other two games?

Anonymous said...

Please no cupcakes! We need better competition than Division II or bad Division I teams.

Wins against inferior competition won't hack it if we want to get better tournament consideration than we've been getting.

Anonymous said...

There is usually two exhibition games before the actual season starts.

Jason Groves said...

anon at 6:36 on june 29,
you said either asu or arizona. I know that's the type of thinking NMSU wants to start having, which is why there are no east coast game, but not this year. UCLA will be the marquee game on the schedule this year. I'm not sure who else is in the mix at this point but i will let you know anything I hear

Anonymous said...

http://itswen2100.blogspot.com/